Women & Infants is the major affiliated teaching hospital of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University for activities unique to women and newborns. Not only are we training the next generation of physicians including medical students, residents and fellows, but we also provide the educational opportunities for our faculty to continually grow and become the standard bearers of clinical excellence, research and teaching in their fields.
The Midwifery Program at Women & Infants Hospital is one of the first academic midwifery practice models within a Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology that is focused on inter-professional education. Utilization of midwifery faculty in medical education at Women & Infants has been a model for other programs nationally. This academic practice model was chosen by the American College of Nurse Midwives and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology as one of its top eight successful collaborative practice models in 2011. Documentation of this model, “Midwifery and Obstetrics: Twenty Years of Collaborative Academic Practice,” was published in the collaborative practice issue of Ob Gyn Clinics of North America in 2012.
Continuing Medical Education
Women & Infants Hospital is accredited, through the Rhode Island Medical Society, to sponsor Continuing Medical Education (CME) programs for physicians. The Department of Obstetric & Gynecology at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University offers CME credit for the following programs:
- Grand Rounds
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Multidisciplinary Tumor Boards (Breast, Gynecologic Oncology)
- Perinatal Management Conference
- Multidisciplinary Antenatal Diagnosis & Management Conference
- Obstetric Medicine Conference
The department also provides a wide variety of topical programs in obstetrics and gynecology including annual conferences in primary care on women's health.
- Grand Rounds - For information about Grand Rounds, contact Deborah L. Myers, MD, director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (401) 274-1122, ext. 42382 or Judith Gould, at email@example.com or (401) 274-1122, ext. 42383.
- Monthly Conferences – password protected
- Noon Conferences – password protected
The Women & Infants Simulation Program is Rhode Island's premier in-house facility exclusively dedicated to women and newborns. By allowing learners from all disciplines to explore complex scenarios from evacuation disaster drills to medical procedures, we are able to ensure situational preparedness, practice excellence and patient safety.