Did You Know?
- Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.
- About 44 percent of rape victims are under the age of 18 and 80 percent are under the age of 30.
- More than 59 percent of all sexual assaults go unreported to police.
- One in five women experienced an attempted or completed rape while in college.
- One in eight women has been sexually assaulted during her lifetime.
- Close to nine percent of high school students reported that they had experienced sexual violence by someone they were dating or going out with in the last 12 months.
Source: Day One
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program
Women & Infants is there for our community, providing appropriate, compassionate, comprehensive care for women who have been victims of sexual assault. Women & Infants provides the only comprehensive SANE Program for adult female victims of sexual assault in Rhode Island and, as the primary referral and treatment site for female survivors, each year our team in the Emergency Department cares for approximately 110 sexual assault victims. That care is provided by our highly-trained sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE) who are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, providing compassionate and expert medical and forensic care, coordinating care with the emergency room physician when physical injuries are present. In collaboration with advocates, such as those at Day One, the SANE also provide education and resource information to victims in crisis. Additionally, Women & Infants provides the only dedicated post-assault follow-up clinic for victims in Rhode Island at our Center for Women’s Medicine, 100 Dudley Street, Providence.
Local resources for victims of sexual assault
- Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center, Pawtucket – (401) 723-3057.
- Day One: Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center, Providence – (401) 421-4100.
- Domestic Violence Resource Center of South County – (401) 782-3990 or 1 (800) 494-8100.
- Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center, Warwick – (401) 738-1700.
- Hasbro Child Protection Program, Providence – (401) 444-3996 (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and (401) 444-5611 (after hours).
- RI Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Warwick – 1 (800) 494-8100.
- Sojourner House, Providence – (401) 765-3232.
- Women’s Center of Rhode Island, Providence – (401) 861-2760.
- Women’s Resource Center, Newport – 1 (800) 494-8100.
- Women & Infants Center for Women’s Medicine Follow-Up Clinic , Providence – (401) 453-7950.
Statewide Task Force to Address Adult Sexual Assault
As a leader in this area, Women & Infants’ Emergency Department staff is part of Rhode Island’s Statewide Task Force to Address Adult Sexual Assault, alongside other stakeholders including the Governor’s office, Day One, local colleges, the Department of Elderly Affairs, law enforcement, the Attorney General’s office, and the state laboratory. A primary charge of this task force is to address the critical need to create a consistent and standardized means for tracking sexual assault data in Rhode Island. In May 2016, the task force presented the “Sexual Assault FAQs,” a resource manual for the community.