Clinical depression is much more intense than simply feeling sad. It can cause a person to lose interest in regular hobbies and life in general. There is a medical cause for depression and it is very treatable.
Signs of Depression
Depression is characterized by the following feelings:
- Loss of interest in activities you usually enjoy.
- Sleep disturbance.
- Appetite changes – either eating too much or not enough.
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions.
- Lack of energy or motivation.
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
- Excessive worry and fears (in new mothers, these fears generally revolve around the baby).
- Thoughts of death or suicide.