Please be advised that the following location is a provider-based clinic and both a physician and facility fee will be assessed, which may result in a higher out-of-pocket expense.
2 Dudley Street
Providence, RI 02905
P: (401) 453-7955
Spanish speaking staff members are available in the department, and the hospital has interpreters in other languages available upon request.
If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman who is dealing with an opioid use disorder, you are not alone. Recent research shows that the number of pregnant women who have an opioid use disorder related to prescription pain relievers or heroin has increased in recent years.
Without appropriate treatment, these mothers may be at risk of relapse or increasing use of illicit substances. This can have long-term, negative effects on the relationship between mother and baby.
But help is available. Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) in pregnancy has been shown to improve birth outcomes among women who have substance use disorders and are pregnant.
MAT has proved to be clinically effective and to significantly reduce the need for inpatient detoxification services for these individuals. MAT provides a more comprehensive, individually tailored program of medication and behavioral therapy. MAT also includes support services that address the needs of most patients.
The ultimate goal of MAT is full recovery, including the ability to live a self-directed life. This treatment approach has been shown to:
- Improve patient survival
- Increase retention in treatment
- Decrease illicit opiate use and other criminal activity among people with substance use disorders
- Increase patients’ ability to gain and maintain employment
- Improve birth outcomes among women who have substance use disorders and are pregnant
Women & Infants offers office-based buprenorphine maintenance treatment for opioid use disorder during pregnancy and the postpartum period. The Moms MATTER (Medication Assisted Treatment to Enhance Recovery) clinic is a unique model of care that provides a safe place for pregnant and breastfeeding women to seek compassionate, non-judgmental care.
Moms MATTER provides integrated, comprehensive services. Women can be referred from their obstetric provider during pregnancy or the postpartum period. They will then be screened by our team over the phone. If appropriate for an outpatient level of care for medication assisted treatment of opioid use disorder, they will be scheduled for an appointment at the clinic.
Our services include:
- Treatment of acute withdrawal as an inpatient at Women & Infants Hospital.
- Medication assisted treatment with buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.
- Assistance in caring for babies with neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) in collaboration with pediatricians at Women & Infants Hospital.
- Pain management for opioid-dependent women as an inpatient at Women & Infants Hospital.
Patients are seen on Thursdays between 12 noon and 4 p.m. at the Center for Obstetric and Consultative Medicine, 100 Dudley Street, Third Floor, Providence, RI (401) 430-2700.
Meet Our Team
Alpha Lefrancois, LCDP
Center for Women’s Behavioral Health
Adam Czynski, DO
Department of Pediatrics