Parents can check their baby’s hearing. Begin by being certain that the baby is happy and in a quiet room . The following signs indicate healthy hearing.
Age birth to three months, does the baby:
- Startle or jump when there is a sudden loud sound?
- Stir or wake up and cry when someone talks or makes noise?
- Recognize and be quieted and some times pacified by the sound of your voice?
Age three to six months, does the baby:
- Turn his/her eyes to look for an interesting sound?
- Respond to your voice?
- Turn his or her eyes toward you when calling the baby’s name?
Age six to twelve months, does the baby:
- Turn toward interesting sounds and toward the parent when his or her name is called from behind?
- Understand no and bye-bye and similar common words?
- Search or look around when hearing new sounds?
If the baby cannot do these things, check with the baby’s doctor.