A test or exam might have revealed complications with your unborn baby. In that case, your health care provider may refer you to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist for additional care.
Complications can include:
- Alloimmune thrombocytopenia
- Arrhythmia, or abnormal heartbeat
- Fetal anomaly, including chromosomal abnormalities
- Hydrops, or an accumulation of fluid in the fetus’ body
- Severe growth restriction
The Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and its Prenatal Diagnosis Center also participate in the state’s Fetal Treatment Program.