About the Center of Excellence
About the CoE
In October 2003, Brown University and Women & Infants Hospital were designated a National Center of Excellence in Women's Health by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We are honored by this award which recognizes more than 100 years of experience, expertise and compassion in caring for women.
The Center is dedicated to improving the health and health care for all women by working with academic and community partners and collaborating with public and private health care providers throughout the state.
Collaboratively, the Center and its partners
are working on initiatives that include:
- Improving quality and access to care for women of all ages, emphasizing the specific needs of underserved and vulnerable populations of women;
- Enhancing collaborative efforts of women's health researchers statewide, regionally and nationally;
- Providing community health education, outreach and health services to diverse groups of women;
- Improving the medical curriculum in women's health throughout the medical school, residency and post graduate programs emphasizing diversity and cultural issues;
- Enhancing the professional development of women residents, fellows and faculty leading to academic promotion and positions of leadership throughout the University.
The Center of Excellence integrates five key components that include:
The Center of Excellence is coordinated through Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, a teaching and research hospital affiliated with Brown Medical School, which has provided a multitude of essential services to women, regardless of their ability to pay, since 1884. As one of the largest obstetrical services in the country with more than 9,200 deliveries in 2002, Women & Infants is one of the Council of Women's and Infants' Specialty Hospitals (CWISH) centers for excellence dedicated to women's health care, education and research.
In addition to modern women's health prevention and treatment facilities, Women & Infants offers a full range of women's health services including, but not limited to, treatment of cancers unique to women, internal medicine, urogynecology, gastroenterology, treatment of menopause and infertility, psychiatry and behavioral medicine and obstetrics. For more information, please contact 401-274-1122, extension 2833, or email us.